For over 20 years, Jane May has regularly counseled clients on best practices in all areas of employment law, including sexual harassment prevention and compliance with federal and state employment laws. Jane presents live seminars to clients focusing on a wide range of legal topics, including sexual harassment prevention, the Workplace Transparency Act, the Illinois Human Rights Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the First Amendment, and the Whistleblower Act. She has created sample employment policies for clients including policies designed to prevent discrimination and harassment in the workplace. Jane regularly reviews employment policies and provides recommendations to clients regarding legal compliance. She has personally investigated claims of sexual harassment and has successfully defended harassment and discrimination claims in federal and state court.
- Stallings v. Johnston City, 3:13-cv-00422-DRH-SCW (S. D. Ill.). Second chair at six-day jury trial. Secured judgment in favor of defendants on claims alleging violations of due process and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Michalowicz v. Bedford Park, 528 F.3d 530 (7th 2008). Obtained dismissal of due process claims against defendant-village. Affirmed by Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Jo Daviess Co., 14 CH 37 (Cir. Ct., Jo Daviess Co.) Obtained dismissal of claims alleging violations of the Open Meetings Act and Illinois Personnel Record Review Act, and secured summary judgment in favor of the defendant on FOIA claim.
- Buraglio v. Village of Wapella, 13-3092 (C.D. Ill.). Obtained dismissal of First Amendment claim against County Clerk.
- MedicOne v. Marion Co. ETSB, 11-cv-1067 (S.D. Ill). Secured dismissal of equal protection and tortious interference claims against 9-1-1 Board.
- O’Leary v. Kaupas, 08 C 7246 (N.D. Ill.) Won summary judgment in favor of defendant-officer on sex discrimination claim pursuant to Section 1983.
- Brett, N. v. CUSD No. 303, 08 C 3092 (N.D. Ill.). Obtained dismissal of claims against school district alleging violations of plaintiff’s constitutional rights to self-defense, equal protection and due process.
- Kasak v. Bedford Park, 06 C 5119 (N.D. Ill.). Secured dismissal of First Amendment employment claim.
- Griffin v. Ill. Liquor Control Comm’n, al., 01-3301 (C.D. Ill.). Won summary judgment in favor of liquor control commissioner on claims alleging race discrimination and due process violation.